Sunday, September 14, 2014

Getting settled and Saying Goodbye

Tuesday morning another beautiful thing happened; two more strong young men came and unloaded that Uhaul and brought all our clean things into our new house.  Ahhhh, I'll say it again, best money you can spend.  This time there was no time to be lazy or ride bikes.  We unpacked boxes as they brought them in.  We started the washer and dryer and those poor machines worked for four days straight without a break.  We loaded and unloaded the dishwasher, put shelf paper down (thank you MOM!), made piles of trash, purchased a lawn mower,

first lawn mowing
 and finally made ourselves stop long enough to enjoy a beautiful meal brought to us by Owen and Chambliss.  We worked and worked all week and then treated ourselves to a night out Friday night.  We listened to great music and ate from a food truck at Mordecai Historical Park with friends Julie, Eric, Lindsay and Tik.  All of a sudden it was dark, the band was gone and the six of us still remained deep in conversation.  This is what we needed.  New friends, old friends, good music, good food and great conversation.  Saturday morning George and I had a new experience.  An estate sale.  Quite an experience.  We walked away with a great rug for our dining room, a bedside table with a skirt, and a stool for my vanity area.  Oh, and a cooler for 1.50! Later that afternoon we drove back down to the River to meet Lauren and Michael at my old stompin' grounds, Camp Don Lee.  We went to celebrate the career of a very special director and his 38 years of service to the "Place that God has blessed".  John Farmer is a legend of sorts and loved by many.  There was a great turn out.  We had the best day as we reconnected with friends, enjoyed the beautiful river, ate delicious food and experienced vespers (a nightly tradition of devotions at CDL) and communion given by John and his wife Penny Dollar (that is seriously her name) on the end of the pier in the "super" moon-light.  There was an 80% chance of rain and the weather man called for 4-6 inches of that "liquid sunshine".  All the activities were planned for outside.  It rained not one drop.  God is good.  CDL is surely a place that God has blessed.  We stayed at the river house that night and headed back to Raleigh the next day to pick up little George who stayed with his Grammy so that we could enjoy the celebration at CDL.  That following week is hazy. Lauren and Michael stayed with us and time seemed to evaporate.  I know that we had a playdate with a new friend who lives down the street.  Sam is George's age and Sam's mom and I really hit it off.  Once again, God blesses me with friends and wastes no time in doing so.  The following weekend was one for the record books.  George and I desperately needed time away- just the two of us- and my parents graciously agreed to watch little George while we took a little mini vacation to Southport, NC.  Such a historical town!  I have never spent any time here and we both totally fell in love with the place.  By the end of our stay we were snatching fliers out of real estate boxes from every house that was on sale.  Here are a few pictures of that magical time we had in Southport NC.  







We rode the ferry over to Bald Head Island. We ate lunch at a market, got a massage and a pedicure at the spa, explored the entire island via bicycle and then had a picnic on the beach at sunset.  Magical!  We hopped on the Ferry at 8:00 and made it back to Mom and Dad's by 10:00 that night.  It was a quick weekend but we sure made good use of our time. 

                                           
 We had to get back to Raleigh in time for George's executive desk to be delivered to his office.  A rare craigslist find, it was in great shape and just needed a little TLC.  Now it feels official in his office.  

That week we visited with an old friend from camp that now lives in Raleigh, Georgie's babysitter and her daughter, Christina and John, Will Jeffers, and Anna and Elizabeth at Northbrook pool.  George DOVE off the diving board twice!  Thursday night George and Owen drove to the mountains for a fly-fishing get-a-way just the two of them.  Saturday we spent the day with my sister -in-law and her new baby named BOO.  The cutest little pug you have ever seen.  George and Boo really hit it off.  We enjoyed another pool day with the Edwards family and then ended the day with a fabulous home made meal of BBQ chicken, beans, corn, watermelon, rolls, broccoli, squash casserole, sweet tea and peach cobbler.  Boo entertained George and the adults had great conversation.   The very next day we began our search for the perfect church which I am sure you will hear more about if I do in fact start a new blog for this coming year.  I had a wonderful dinner out with my dear friend Susan.  It still hits me sometimes that I live here now and these dinners out are possible every week if we wanted.  It blows my mind in a wonderful way!

 The following day was a BIG DEAL.  George began his profession as an Orthopaedic Hand Surgeon.  We were so proud of him and I made a really special dinner for him to celebrate this milestone.
George's first day of "real job"
Beef Wellington, roasted potatoes, and brussel sprouts.  Babe- don't get used to it!


This week little George had a few playdates and a doctors appointment with Dr. Jeffers.  Dr. Jeffers is amazing.  They just don't make doctors like they used to.  He was so sweet to my little boy who was scared stiff and by the end, George wanted to go back.  To watch him was to watch an artist at work.  It was incredible juxtaposition to send my husband off to work the day before we went to see Dr. Jeffers, who has been in practice for decades.

George and John at Pullen Park


George and Noah (a new friend for him but I've known Noah's mom for a while

George and Anna at Northbrook Pool



I just can't believe we are back.  I just can't believe I have to say goodbye to this blog.  I've been "finishing" this post for three days now.  Maybe I am in denial? I guess I wish there was an easier way to transition from my beloved "North Cack to So Cal" to a new blog.  Will it take off or will I never find the time? Will you like it?  Will I be inspired enough?  I have lots of ideas.  I'll be sure to let you know when it is up and running.  Stay tuned!

Goodbye first blog.  I sure loved you! Thanks for walking beside me through our California adventure. It was a good ride!





No comments:

Post a Comment