Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A weeks worth of news

So I owe you a post.  I, as most of you, have found myself extremely busy with this Christmas Season's activities.  But thats no excuse.  Maybe I haven't found time to write because all last week George decided not to nap.  Still not good enough…OK,  my real excuse……. someone loaned me the first book in the Hunger Games series.  There's an excuse for you.  

Last Tuesday was the last post and the beginning of the no-nap week. To pass the time, I tried to walk Dean while George scooted on his scooter and that was a disaster.  Dean was TERRIBLE.  Ran after kids, growled and barked at dogs, pulled me, yanked me, bolted after squirrels. I have never felt that out of control of him.  Never again.

Wednesday we decided on a different adventure.  The mall.  Usually scary at this time of year in North Carolina, CA malls are no different.  Except I had to navigate a brand new one which made it that much harder.  We emerged with three gifts purchased, one bowl of Fro-Yo for lunch and one carousel ride under our belts.  George again did not nap.  So at five we headed over to Lauren's house to make dough ornaments.  We got to meet all her friends and their kiddos, mostly around one year of age, like her son.  George was pretty nice to and gentle with them overall and behaved reasonably well for not having had a nap.  We got home and I put him straight to bed.  Also, I should add that I haven't mentioned big George because he made it home after dinner both of these "no nap" days.

Thursday was another school day and I was able to run several errands during that very short short two hours.  Another trip to the post office finished up my elf duties for the season and a trip to the spa to clean up for our date night Saturday night. Thats right, I said it, DATE NIGHT.  This is a perfect time to interject that I freaked out Thursday night about the babysitter.  I imagined a million things that could go wrong.  From small things like George "bunking" his noggin' all the way to major disasters, like a kidnapper sitter and a ransom note.  I do not exaggerate.  I do worry like this.  God helped me remember to look at Psalm 91.  And then I found my nugget that would help me sleep that night in verses 9-10.
 "If you make the most high your dwelling- even the Lord-who is my refuge-
 then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent"

Friday I cleaned. Usually I clean on every other Monday but I have this weird obsession about cleanliness when someone else will be in my house for any extended time.  So yes, that would mean I cleaned for the babysitter.                ?                      IDK.  

Saturday was AWESOME. Why? Because I read the Hunger Games, and followed the score tracker on ESPN to help the Tarheels to a victory over Kentucky.  Always love to beat them.  Always hate to loose to them.  Then, George napped for the first time all week and when he awoke, big George and I were already ready for the date night to begin.  We sat and nervously fidgeted until she came.  I already described her in a previous post.  She's great.  But even Mother Theresa would be questionable to two parents not from Skopje, Macedonia.  George took a picture of her license and then got her to write down her address.  He asked for two phone numbers for each of her brothers.  This was all to my surprise and utter satisfaction.  All week, he concealed his own second thoughts about our date night and sitter. To leave your heart and soul, your one and only son in the hands of someone you've only just met-it was a feat about which both of us had reservations.  But we also had reservations at a restaurant so we kissed him and hit the road, all the while telling ourselves, "People do this. Normal people go on dates.  Normal people leave their kids behind while they spend quality time together".  And by the time we arrived at the restaurant we were miraculously both ready to do just that.  Spend two uninterrupted hours together.  And it was niiiiiiiice.  The wine was great, the food was okay, the bill was high but all of it was worth it.  And we justified the bill by our recollection that we have not really done this since June after George finished boards.  We did not even celebrate when we found out he passed boards.  So there, we had a blast and paid for it but we were so thankful for the chance to be out and about- just us.  And wouldn't you know it, when we got back home, George was still there- all in one piece with a smile on his face and giggles that melted our hearts.  He was still awake, which was less than ideal, but who cared at this point?  Not one of us.  

Sunday we woke up and thought we were headed to Palm Springs to hang out with George's friend Zoe and her parents when we got the call that her daddy was really sick.  So we changed our plan and decided to go to early church and then Point Dume near Malibu (because, hate to break it to you East Coasters, it was supposed to be 85 degrees and sunny).  Point Dume was where we went Labor Day weekend but it was too crowded to enjoy.  When we got there George said, "Hey, we are only an hour from Santa Barbara…. why not?"  I had no reason why not so onward we went.  As George is never really one to alter the plan, I was a little worried but it turned out to be the best day ever.  We took turns playing with George on the beach as the other ran on the hard packed sand and witnessed cliffs, sailors,   a harbor, dogs off the leash, and finished the day as we dined by sunset at a cute beach front restaurant with fish tacos and Bloody Marys.  Just about then George uttered these words, "I am retiring here".  I let him have his moment and then I said, "Seriously? Or does that just mean you are having a great day?" I will let you guess the North Carolina boy's response.  Don't worry family, I am sure you guessed it correctly.  


Monday was low key and Today has been a little bit of a challenge.  I worked in the classroom which is always tricky but today was the last day of school before the break.  A little more to clean and organize for the break, plus a lice outbreak (which always gets folks stirring) and many of the kids and their parents gave gifts today.  George wanted to open them all while I tried to clean up from the day.  It was difficult to urge him to wait on that bright red candy cane.  Then we got home and he did not want to nap.  Shew, of all days! Three hours with 12 three year olds, clean up their mess and then return with a sugared up three year old of my own who just WANTS TO PLAY WITH HIS NEW TOYS.  I really can't blame him.  Christmas is such an exciting time of year for all of us.  I just sincerely hope this is not the end of the naps.  I need them…Oh- I mean- HE needs them!



 roses in our yard

sunrise 12/17

 sunrise









1 comment:

  1. You are so funny!! So glad the date night happened and George was fine with the sitter. And yeah, Big G can VACATION there. Retire? NO. Just NO.

    ReplyDelete