Monday, October 21, 2013

Home Is Where Your Heart Is

George and I just experienced our first weekend of commitments.  No beach exploration, no fancy trips, just good 'ol things on the calendar.  Friday night we had our first pizza movie night in what seemed like forever.  Saturday morning I had to work at George's school.  From nine to noon I painted, edged, worked a jigsaw, cleaned and created.  At a Co-op like our son's school, the parents do all the work. I might have mentioned this before, but I was NOT excited about this part at first. When it was clear that this school was the only option for us I remember the thought I had to myself, "All I want to do is drop him off, pay someone a good amount of moo-lah and have a couple of hours to myself".  But now, I can honestly say (and believe me, I'd be honest if it were the other way around too) that I enjoy the involvement.  Saturday we re-purposed an old doll house (like a walk in wooden structure) into a Train Station complete with a boardwalk, luggage, tickets, signage, and an old timey cha-ching thing where you pull the lever down and stuff spins. Ok, I realize that was about the worst description in the history of the universe, but I will post pictures later and you will totally know what I mean.  It was so neat to meet so many parents with such care and concern for their little ones.  Then we were off to the fun commitment, a BIRTHDAY PARTY!! Our favorite little guy out here turned one year old on Saturday and we were able to celebrate with him. It was a really fun birthday with a Peter Rabbit theme.  Lauren did such a great job.  The wonderful playground served as entertainment and George and I even met a few fellow southerners out here in the big city 'burbs.  It was nice to talk freely and let the accent just roll off the tongue.
Sunday we went to church and the message was fabulous.  Sunday evening my fan club showed up again at my ball game.  It is so nice to have my boys behind me as I play the sport that gives me such joy.  It really feels like heaven to have that much fun with the people I love the most in this world.  I just wish my whole family could come every week.  I'm now a third baseman and second girl batter for any of you who care about those details.
I would like to highlight the message of Sunday's sermon a little bit if you don't mind.  It really hit *home* for us.
Its only October but George and I have already begun the stress-induced search for homes back in Raleigh. Partly because its fun to look, but partly because we feel like we have to be prepared.  Well, it has turned from pure fun to pure fret and frustration.  There's so much to think about as you look for what could be your forever home.  We fret over where to look, what price to pay, we fret over convenience and comfort vs less of a mortgage payment every month.   And honestly we both fret over what it looks like.  We fret over how to use our resources wisely; do we choose a home we love in an area we love with schools we prefer or do we choose a smaller home that we (I'll be honest) can't stand the sight of but have funds left over for travel? Or will those funds be used to pay for private school because of the area in which it happens to be located? What can I say, all of that is really important to us. If you are my age and stage you know my point like the back of your hand. You've agonized over it, you've perseverated on it, you've beaten it with a stick. Not to mention we have not found anything reasonably priced that we love. It seems impossible.  Everything that is nice and convenient is expensive.  I think I just had the most original thought ever to be put into words: nice things are expensive.  Wow, there's one for the record books, Becca.  Seriously though, why can't we find something relatively nice and reasonably priced? Ugh, we are so frustrated and fretful.  So now that you know where we are, I'd like to share what God told us through the sermon Sunday.  The sermon was about when Jesus fed the 5,000 (or 15, 000- if you think women and children matter, which I DO.  I am giving each man there a woman-because most men would not have been present without a wife who had nagged him and I am also giving them one child each, just because).  So when that little boy gave Jesus what he had, when it passed over from the boy's hands to Jesus' hands, the IMPOSSIBLE became POSSIBLE.  Jesus fed all those people with 5 loaves of barley bread and 2 fish.  That's impossible!  But it happened.  Lincoln (our preacher) said, "Give your little bit to Jesus and he will make possible what we think is impossible".  He even said "that home you want, give it to Jesus" (p.s. -that is when we knew God had spoken to us directly).   That little boy out of faith gave up his lunch to Jesus and look what happened. George and I decided to give our loaf of fret and fish of frustration over to the Lord in faith that he will make the impossible possible.  We know he will put us where he wants us and that it will satisfy every need we have.  It will be more than what we could have even imagined because we put our trust in Him, our faith in Him.  There were leftovers in that story, remember?  We prayed, "Lord- help us not to fret over this. Remind us that you've got us in your big, capable hands".  And I will have you know he already has. Just today, as I prayed this morning, I looked up at our little perfect cottage and thought of our reasonable rent and wonderful land lady and was reminded of how God took care of us last May.  He just dropped this little jewel into our laps.  And I looked down at Dean and remembered the stress of that little (large, great-dane sized) detail.  We thought we would have to leave him behind at one point, but no, here he sits as a reminder of how much God cares for the small (and large) details of our lives.  So we know he'll do it again.  I hope one day, each of you can sit across from me in my kitchen as I cook some soup or something sweet for you and we can talk and laugh about this post as we experience God's goodness and extravagance as it surrounds us in the form of a happy, cozy home.
Lord help me to be ever mindful of how much I am given. Thank you for the gift of a secure home, no matter where I lay my head... for I know my real home is in you.  Home is where my heart is, my heart is in you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment