Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Sister Shenanigans and Speed Dating

I hope you caught my last post, it was very adventurous! When we returned from San Francisco Sunday, I had only an evening and a morning to get the house ready for my guest! Although she made me promise not to treat her like "cumpny" I could not resist the urge to pull out my best hostess wares and treat her right. A gift from Lindsay after her wedding was helpful and timely (a glass water pitcher with a cup that doubles as a cap).  Trader Joes always provides yummy little snacks to set out and I like to use Mason Jars as containers.  Three roses in full bloom in a pitcher of water from the yard and we were in business.  George's room with the boy colors and toys everywhere was transformed into a cute guest room.  If I could figure out how to keep him out of "his" room while our guests take a shower (sorry E and S) we would be golden.
So she arrived, my lovely sister, on a plane from Seattle where she visited other friends. George was SO excited to see Aunt "Nahwen" as was his momma.  We went directly to Fair Oaks Pharmacy for lunch because that girl is an eater and when her fry gage is low....watch OUT.  She also got a coke float with a HUGE scoop of chocolate ice cream.
 We got home in time for a nap for George and she and I just talked.  Monday night we had tacos (one of her faves). Tuesday we took George to preschool and had planned to talk and walk together but then I got roped into one of these classes the cooperative school puts on. It was free, it was during preschool, I pretty much had to go. Lauren was so gracious and read in the sanctuary until I was done.  The talk was about first friendships and talked a lot about sibling relationships. Timely topic for me since I had looked forward to my own first friend and sibling's arrival for over a month now.  Once it was over we walked to Porta Via for coffee and then it was time to pick George up.  Tuesday afternoon we planned out our week loosely so that we could fit everything in that we wanted to.  We decided to go to Disney on Wednesday and of course, it RAINED for the first time since I have been here.  We went anyway and had a blast.  So neat to share that experience with her since the fist time I experienced it was also with her.  We had very different memories of Disney from our childhood but it was fun to re-hash them and at the same time watch George experience his own first impressions of such a special place.
Thursday we took George back to preschool together and then went to Colorado Blvd in Pasadena for coffee.  We had the best conversation and really caught up. Not a "whatcha been up to" but instead a"where's your heart at" kind of conversation.  Loved every minute of it.  She sharpens me, encourages me and challenges me in such love and completeness.  Its like she cares about me just as much as I care about her.  We picked George up and went to watch the trains go by at our favorite little lunch cafe, Buster's.  Then George reminded me that we must get a cupcake from the cupcake shop down the street.  After a nap and a run it was time for date night for me and George!  Lauren has always been our best babysitter  and true to form, she forced us out the door to enjoy some time together sans little G.  Welp, just like the rain on Wednesday an uninvited and unwanted visitor entered our house via cellular phone.  Since we've been here George has been called in zero times for a "replant".  But of course the night we have a free babysitter and plan to go out by ourselves (which would have been a first since we've been here also) he got that call.  We had about 45 minutes so we decided to go out anyway.  We chose the best restaurant in South Pasadena.  We ordered and George asked me how my day was (for the third time, haha).  His mind was anywhere but date night, but he tried to be engaged.  His burger and my salad came and then they called again.  So while he talked outside the restaurant on his phone, I ate. When he returned he ate half and then talked on the phone for the second time.  Needless to say, this was not what either of us had in mind for date night.  Oh well! At least I did not loose any fingers.  Its all about perspective you know? So we returned at 7:15 for a record breaking speedy date night.  Saturday night Lauren gave us a re-do.  See Almost Priceless date night.  So he went in to work again at 7:30 and Lauren and I got more time to talk. We do love to talk!  Friday we went to Santa Monica and saw the ocean and the pier.  We had lunch at Blue Plate Taco and enjoyed every bite.  We saw dolphins and took lots of fun pictures.  Friday night we grilled pork tenderloin and roasted root veggies.  I realize I talk a lot about food, but if my Grandaddy Bill were here that would be his favorite part. That and Fair Oaks Pharmacy (It is still a compounding pharmacy, Grandaddy and they have a soda fountain, just like yours! I so wish I could take you there.) Saturday morning we went to Griffith Park to see the views.  There is a great view of the Hollywood sign and also the city (if the smog is not too bad).  We looked around the Planetarium and then went down the mountain to try Trails Cafe.  It was really good.  I got a slice of pie for lunch (what? it had fruit!) and Lauren and George shared a pastry engulfed hot dog on a stick.  We shared a vegan peanut butter and chocolate chip cookie for dessert (what? get off my back already. you need dessert, even if most consider my lunch to be dessert in itself).  We all rested Saturday afternoon and then George and I went on date night numero dos.  Sunday we went to church and then the flea market (but turned around when we found out there was an entrance fee) and then Lauren got to try "In and Out Burger"- California's version of a hamburger joint that they obsess over much like Southerners obsess over Bojangles.  I can't really see what all the fuss is about but then again, I don't eat hamburgers.   Then we all piled into the car to go to my softball game. That was fun to have my little fan club there.  We went out for our last meal together at Senor Fish and then went to Fosselmans for dessert.  Pasadena's favorite ice-cream Parlour.  All in all it was a great week.  Exhaustion overwhelmed me Monday after I dropped Lauren off at the airport but the exhaustion was well worth it to have such a special visitor.  While she was here she helped out SO much.  I would open the dishwasher to empty it and find it already empty.  I would trudge into the kitchen to put away food after  George went to sleep only to find the counters cleared. I would dread the laundry until I saw it was folded in neat little piles already.  What a blessing a sister is. Someone with which to share your life, your bread, your family and your thoughts.  I am refreshed and recharged by her visit and so thankful she sacrificed to come see me in my new home.  Now it actually feels like home.
we began and ended our visit with icecream 

No comments:

Post a Comment