Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A True American Hero

Or four of them to be exact. I will get to that later.

In the past few weeks we've been very busy!  Busy at Manhattan Beach with Stephanie, Christine, Paloma, Baz, and baby Hugo.  Busy at Disney, busy in Raleigh as we scoped out the new digs-just George, not me, busy on the phone with banks, realtors, and inspectors, busy at the pool (its been real hot), busy at Lacy Park, Eddie Park and Garfield Park, busy chowing down on Nachos with the Palmers, and burgers and dogs for Paloma's birthday….seems like I am forgetting something….OH YEAH- George was rescued from the locked car by Four American Heroes- Four Firemen I will NEVER EVER IN MY WHOLE LIFE forget.

It all happened so fast; I went to Lauren's to enjoy the pool on the hottest day we've had yet.  I clipped my keys on the bag I would take into the pool, texted Lauren to say that we were here so she could let me in the locked apartment complex, put my phone in my bag, opened the door, locked it and promptly shut it.  At that point, I might have uttered a few choice words because I realized immediately what I had done.  There are so many details to the next fifteen minutes but I will just say that thanks to the Lord, one really kind mail man and four amazing firemen, George was in my arms again.  Not only were they quick and calm, they were kind and compassionate.  They never acted as if I were a terrible mother, a forgetful, flaky mother or that I had wasted their time.  They encouraged me the whole time that I had done the right thing and that all would be fine.  When they unlocked the door I dove into the car to get George out and by the time I had my wits about me, they had all my bags (keys on top) and cooler pulled out of the car for me in a nice neat little pile and a fireman badge sticker for George.  They talked to him for a good ten minutes afterwards to make sure he felt safe.  They were all so larger-than-life, so stereotypically heroic and every bit as cool, calm, and collected as you would hope for in a rescuer.  They all gave George a high five before they pulled away in their big red fire engine, and even gave him a celebratory honk and quick siren as they waved goodbye like this was the best part of their day.  I felt so stupid and helpless and panicky before they arrived and after they left all I had were tears of joy.  There was no room for any of those other feelings as I held my hot little boy in my arms.  I can assure you, after about ten minutes in the pool, countless icy pops and lots of extra love, he was himself again.  I spent the entire next day in an attempt to find a key for the undercarriage of my car but to no avail.  Rest assured, I have found a solution to the problem but better not put it out there on the internet.  

So there's THAT.  I was almost embarrassed to include this but I did want to honor these men who saved George.  First the mailman who noticed my panic and let me in Lauren's building and stood with George near my car while I went inside to get Lauren's phone.  Next, the man on the end of the line at 911 who made me feel safe and like I had called the right number.  And finally, to the four true American Heroes- my saving grace that day.  And mostly to the Lord above who provided all these people to be in the right place at the right time and who put the kind, compassionate souls into the bodies of these wonderful people.  I am so blessed.

Never a dull moment around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment