Friday, June 27, 2014

Post Wedding Week and a Return to the West Coast

The week after a big event is always a little strange.  In our case, it was a lot of fun!  Mom had taken Monday off work so we all spent the day together.  Around noon I took the marriage license to the newlyweds and retrieved Lauren's dress.  Since today was our wedding anniversary, George and I decided to walk around The Cotton Exchange for a while and grab lunch.  Well, right after we said goodbye to Lauren and Michael, I get a call from her, "Becca, I need you to come to the register of deeds office and sign this thing".  Yep, I totally missed one signature line and nope, they were totally NOT married until right then- technically speaking.  Well, in the eyes of God they were but in the eyes of North Carolina….not so much.  We got it all squared away and then returned home to hang out with the parents.  That night we celebrated our seven year anniversary.  We went to Carolina Beach to the Tiki Bar and Ocean Grill.  Its one of our favorite spots- low key, great view of the ocean, fresh seafood and a laid back atmosphere.  We downed some fried calamari and blackened Mahi Tacos and then took a walk on the beach at dusk.  We could not return home from CB without Britt's Donuts so we ate our's on the boardwalk and then brought some to mom and dad.
Is it just me, or does he get more and more handsome every year?


 We thought we'd return to a sleeping house but everyone- Gram'ma, Georgie, Nana and Papa-was in the living room, and they had our wedding video on the television.  It was nice that after all the wedding festivities that led up to Lauren's wedding that they still wanted to watch another bride and groom celebrate marriage.  It was cute to see little George as he wondered where he was in all the videos.  We all eventually got to bed.  The next morning PaPa and big George went fishing.  They left before the sun woke up and I continued to sleep until a little three year old kiss hit my cheek at 9:45 am.  I could NOT believe it.  I have not slept that late since high school- and NEVER has Georgie slept that late!  So much activity over the weekend finally caught up with us I guess.  When the boys returned and mom got off work, we all went to Wrightsville Beach for the afternoon.  The Boons met us on the beach and we re-hashed the wedding weekend again.  It was so good to be on the other side of the planning. 




Georgie's new favorite sport:lifeguard-stand-jumping


 After the sun set we returned to eat the fish the boys had caught that morning.  There's nothing better than fresh fish- caught that day.  We threw some in the grease, of course, and grilled some too.  With full bellies we fell into bed once again.  Wednesday, Dad let George be the captain of his boat for the first time.  Me and the Georges spent the afternoon on the boat and ended up on Masonboro Island.  


Start 'em early

We returned to find another scrumptious meal prepared for us by my mom and dad.  I knew at that point it would be hard to return to California where we don't eat unless I fix it.  Thursday we packed up and headed to Raleigh to get ready for our flight Friday morning.  We had some time to kill Thursday afternoon so went to see "How to Train your Dragon-2" with Georgie.  Then we were treated once more to a dinner out with Grammy and G-daddy.  The next morning we made it to RDU in perfect timing.  An uneventful flight and six hours later we found ourselves in a familiar car, on a familiar freeway, just the three of us.  Since we arrived early in the morning California time, we had the whole day ahead of us.  I unpacked and did laundry and we all took naps.  That night George had to go to a work dinner meeting so Georgie and I hung back and had a low key dinner.  Saturday we had no plans so went to the Cannon's pool for the afternoon.  They joined us for a little while and it was great to see friends again.  That night we made a ham and pineapple pizza and watched "In Search of the Castaways".  Pizza- Movie night lives on!  Sunday we went to church (for me this was the first time in a month) and then spent the afternoon at Redondo Beach.  It was great fun until I got stung by a bee.  I forgot how awful that is! I think the last time I was stung by a bee was when I was Georgie's age.  On our car ride home George and I discussed dinner plans and little George piped up, "Hey- I have an idea!  Me and Daddy can go to Hi-Life Bugger and mommy can stay home".  That was all it took.  The boys got burgers and I happily stayed home and had a few moments to myself.  I would say George's vacation week went well.  Monday he went to work and I returned to work too.  Monday afternoon I was so exhausted from playing all day you would have thought I was the hand surgery fellow.  We had lasagne for dinner and put George down after our first "normal" day in quite a while.  Even though I cleaned all day, it was good to be home and back in our routine.  I am so thankful for "normal- routine" days.
Tuesday and my foot was still swollen, red and itchy from the bee sting.  I hope this goes away soon!  A swollen foot makes it hard to run after energetic little boys.  Zoe came over today and spent the day with us.  Georgie was so happy to see his friend and they did not even have one argument.  Thats quite a feat for two three year olds- no matter how good of friends they are!  Poor thing played so hard he fell asleep beside me at 5:00pm as I finished this post.  I guess his napping days are not quite over.  Just when you have given up, these younguns surprise you!  Wednesday we went to the dollar movie at a near-by cinema.  Despicable Me -2 was super cute.  It was so close, we walked.  George napped (again!) that afternoon.  Wednesday afternoon we were re-united with our friends Cole and Lena.    And later that evening, another quick reunion with Paloma Baz and Hugo.  George was so happy to see his friends and I think I was just as happy to see mine.  Thursday we walked to one of our favorite parks and met another friend there.  George got home early and we all walked to the farmers market together.  We shared some good food and then headed back home.  Today is Friday.  I officially have three weeks left here in California.  If they all go as fast as this past week, I had better hold on cause we are in for a roller coaster ride.



No comments:

Post a Comment