Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Wedding Central


Monday two weeks before the wedding was spent with Lauren, Dad and Georgie.  Mom had to work.  I cannot really remember, but I do not think we accomplished much that day except for some relaxation by the pool.  That night we had pot roast and grilled veggies with cherry pie for dessert.

Tuesday we ran and spent the morning on the beach.  That afternoon I am still not sure what we accomplished and quite honestly I have no idea what we did between Tuesday and Friday but it must have been busy because I did not journal one word.  I know we ate a lot of good food, spent a lot of time in the pool and prepared for Lauren's bachelorette weekend.

Georgie and the Bride to be


cookie face





We did some goofing around too.
Friday we set off to one of Lauren's best friends' parent's beach house for the weekend.  This particular family has become so special to Lauren and to my parents and most recently to me.  It was such a treat to use their house for the weekend.  It was pure heaven to be at the beach with only one responsibility- to have FUN!  Friday night we stayed in and ate amazing lasagne as the girls trickled in from near and far.  We spent Saturday at the beach and stayed until 6:30 pm.  After a cocktail we got dressed up and went to BlueWater, a restaurant on the water.  We came back to a lively lingerie shower.  I think Lauren enjoyed herself, which was, of course,  the main idea so I count it as a success.  Sunday we had a brunch with the Mamas who brought us donuts, quiche, and muffins.  Some of the girls returned home for the work week and others stuck around for a few more beach hours.  Lauren and I straightened up a bit and then packed all our stuff to leave the beach.  Before this trip, I had talked myself into the fact that I could, in fact, live without a beach house.  After this weekend, however, it is confirmed that I cannot, in fact, live without a beach house.  I may be 90 years old, but I hope to one day have the luxury of waking up to the sound of the waves and then sitting on my porch to soak in those last few rays of sun instead of packing up to leave.  


The ladies out to dinner


Bride to be!


George on a paddle board

He looks at home on a beach house porch,no?
The next week was sort of a blur.  Lauren's fiancé came to stay with us and accomplish wedding details that had to wait until the week before the big day.  Lauren's good friend also stayed with us that week to help pull off the wedding.  Lets just say it was "Wedding Central" for a week straight.  We learned a lot about gluten free preparation of food, how to share bathrooms, how three year olds like to be naked-which I of course knew but it was an adjustment for just about everyone else- but how much laundry they create.  Its weird when you think about it…how can a child who wears almost nothing create so much darn laundry?!


This is" colorisilla"  aka Charissa.  She is Lauren's friend who George took a liking to in a big way.  We seriously could not have done everything this week with out her help.   

Friday night things got real! We had a backyard cookout for family and friends who were in town for the big day.  I got to see my cousins and their kiddos and aunts and uncles that I had missed so terribly throughout the year.  I also got to meet Lauren's fiancé's family.  They were such lovely people.  We had hotdogs and hamburgers and the kids splashed in the pool.  It went by way too fast but we had so much to look forward to that it didn't even matter.  Goodbyes that night were easy because we would see everyone a few more times throughout the weekend.

Harrison, Micah, Jonah.  Jonah is not impressed with Uncle Harrison's antics



I wonder if this was before or after Uncle H taught George to say "Hashtag Crushing it" or "Whats up Ladies??"



Saturday we woke up and began to get ready for the bridesmaid's luncheon.  I was almost ready when I heard my son say, "DADDY!!!!".  I had missed my husband SO much that I almost ran out of the house half dressed.  True Story.  Boy, was he a sight for sore eyes! We hardly had time to say our hello's before it was time to head off to the kickoff of the weekend, the luncheon hosted by my sweet Aunts and cousins.  I always love the bridesmaid's luncheon for the simple fact that so many women get to celebrate in just the way women like to- lots of fuss, good food, tears of joy and tears born from excessive laughter.  In times like this, being a women is quite fun.  My aunts did a beautiful job, as always, with the decorations and the ambiance.  We shared a few casual words with Lauren- mostly in the form of short funny quips of advice about marriage.  Both my grandmothers were there and to see them so happy and dressed to the nines was worth more than money can buy.  I have beautiful bloodlines from both sides, what can I say.  They are two of the most beautiful and wise women I know.  I am a blessed, blessed girl to have those two for role models.  After we left, we had but a few minutes before we were to dress for the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.  The rehearsal went well and the rehearsal dinner was fabulous.  We CELEBRATED!  It was hot but as my husband said, "It wouldn't be a June wedding in the South if you didn't sweat through your suit before you even arrive at the party!" At least everyone was in the same boat as sweat ran down our backs.  We ate and drank and I was able to sit with my cousins and really enjoy them for a long while.  There were toasts- including one from my son.  He looked at me and said, "I want to say something".  I took him up there and he mumbled something about God and coming to earth.  It was precious.  My husband gave a sweet toast about what marrying into this family means.  It meant so much to me because he really does love my crazy family!  My dad gave a hilarious and touching toast in only the way he can.  I wish I had all three of these recorded but I was "in the moment" and that counts for a lot.  After everyone said goodbye, my cousins and I went out for a while just us.  I just love them! What a weekend.  And the big day was still to come!



My longest standing friend, my cousin Anna.  32 years young and still besties!

The smokin' Bride to be and one of her besties, Heidi

Sometimes we try to be cool

I cant blame the boy, that key lime pie was off the hook!

Our family at the Rehearsal dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment