Saturday, January 18, 2014

A Man, a Meat Grinder and a Moment.

We had a great week!  A few highlights:  I was snack parent at school and made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and bananas, Disney with Zoe and Monica, and bookend playdates - Monday with Cole and Lena (friends down the street) and Friday with Evie.  It also hit 85 degrees every day this week.  So when we have weeks like these, its really difficult to imagine leaving California in six months.   When I see George light up to see his friends, when I am able to drive a very short 30 minutes to "the happiest place on earth", when we have zero lunches at the table inside because its too pretty outdoors….these are the weeks that make me sad to think about another big move away from this place.  On the other hand, we started our search for a home in Raleigh NC- and this is great fun!  It is so wonderful to imagine our family settled into a home where we will begin our next chapter.  Some days I want to get on with it and I wish the next six months would fly by.  But then the sun warms my skin and I think, I am happy as ever here in our little tiny house and our simple life.  On that note, little George interrupted my lovely hot shower today because he  "had to poopie".  That my friends, I must confess, leaves me wishing for more square footage- no doubt about it.
Friday was a little hard because I knew George would have to go into work on Saturday (today).  I love the weekends because its a little bit of a break for me.  But a surgery was scheduled so there went my break.  Thats ok. Then I got a phone call from George, "the surgery is cancelled!" Wonderful- but I did not get too excited because I have learned not to.  When he got home a little after 6:00 I decided I needed to leave the house.  It had been a long week with Georgie and my little love had tested my patience all day long.  The whines and cries, screams, and constant questions were about to get the better of me, so I took Dean for a long walk and when I returned they had started dinner. We ate for a while and then George went to play in his room.  Big George and I had a great 7 minute conversation before his pager went off.  Just a question that he was able to answer quickly so we continued our conversation for another 5 minutes or so. Then his phone rang.  He picked up and said, "I sure am, whatcha got?…four digits? wow. I will be right in".  I  brewed the coffee and George prepared himself for his first "all-nighter" in quite a while.  He didn't get back until 8 AM this morning.  Over 12 hours of surgery.  When he returned I made Georgie and I a picnic lunch and got everything I would need for the day out of our room.  I made him a huge bagel-egg sandwich and put him to bed.  It was funny to fall right into the old habits that used to be our "norm".  We both knew exactly how to handle this situation and I think we both kind of felt proud of the way we are able to just jump back into that lifestyle.  Last night, I must confess, I was a little upset because I had already been promised a few hours "off".  Instead, I still had to get Georgie in bed and then watch TV by myself on a Friday night.  Georgie was upset too, "Daddy, don't go to work, you just went to work.  you said you could play wif me and goot (scoot- meaning ride a scooter) tomorrow.  Poor guy.  But then there's George who actually has to perform his skill for 12 hours, sit on a stool for 12 hours with NO break what so ever, and then gets to sleep it off the entire next day, the day that he was supposed to spend with his son.  But then if I get too concerned about our family, I can't help but thing of the poor man who was up against a meat grinder and almost lost four fingers.  Talk about a change in your weekend plans!!  And his family, up all night worried about their dad/son/brother.  In case you are concerned, they were able to save three out of four fingers. Thats pretty amazing I think!  At first I was a little upset about the new weekend plan, but I can honestly say that I feel really good about it now that its over.  Today was great- I "gooted" with George to the park and when when it was time to go, he listened instead of  the usual argument, tears, screams, a general fit pitching.  Then we went for a run together and then drove to another park for our picnic. Again, we had no arguments when it was time to go.  When we got home, Georgie whispered in order to not wake daddy and listened when I told him not to play cars on the hard wood floor- only the carpet.  I was amazed at his behavior all day and then came the "moment".  The moment that I remembered a little something George said before he got called in. In the 30 minutes that I was on a walk with Dean, George and his son had a talk.  They talked about who was in charge and who was the boss.  Thats all I really know but it sure had the desired effect.  He may not be able to be around a ton of the time, but he sure knows how to make that time count.  So in a way, he still gave me that break I was promised.  He still gave George the daddy direction that was needed.  He changed George's behavior to make the day easier on mommy.  I am so proud to call him the father of my child.  I am so proud to call him a devoted surgeon.  I am so proud to call him a good guy and the best husband anyone could ever ask for.  The "man" of the "moment" George. You are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment