Sunday, March 2, 2014

Rainy Days in LA

The past week has been really nice.  Tuesday after I picked George up from school we went to the Americana with Monica and Zoe.  They brought a picnic and I brought the blanket.  The kiddos danced and played and Monica and I had a nice conversation over the loud reggae kid's band.  Wednesday I babysat Cole and Lena while their mom went to a meeting.  As a return favor, I brought George to her house so that I could run by myself before her two came over to my house.  The kids had so much fun together and loved to play with Dean.


Wednesday night I watched the computer as the Heels tried to loose to State.  Thank goodness we pulled that one out.  I got George's lucky jersey on him JUST in time.  Its so hard to be away during basketball season. I really miss my Tarheels!!  Thursday George went to school and I went to get that wax I needed so badly.  Thursday night we went to the Farmers Market and met Monica and Zoe, Maynell and her two, and Berkelely and her three, plus her sister in law.  Good food, good fellowship, good music, perfect weather, and kettle corn.  Does it get any better for a Thursday night?  Friday it started to rain and has not stopped. 

Rainy day in LA


 

 Rain in LA makes national news.  It was pretty bad, there were even mudslides not too far away from us.  I should have made a list when I first moved here of "things to do if it ever rains".  There are so many things that I just cannot bear to do because its so gorgeous outside all the time.  If I had a list, I would have been able to stay busy the entire three days.  But on the other hand, I do enjoy a good "rainy day" and it is nice to stay at home and remain in your jammies from morning till evening.  When it started to rain on Friday George and I went to two grocery stores and got ingredients to make some play dough. It kept him busy for HOURS.  

Playdough recipe:
1 cup flour
2 Tbsp ℅ Tartar
1 pack unsweetened Kool-Aid
1/4 cup salt

1 cup water
1 Tbsp oil

Mix dry ingredients in saucepan.  Add wet ingredients and stir over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until a ball forms.  Knead to soften.  Store in airtight container or plastic bag in refrigerator for a few months.  



Friday night, Evie came over because her mom and dad had to help with a rehearsal at the church.  They played and played and played.  After they left, I put George down and found myself in bed also.  Its been another of those weeks where big George was only home one evening before little George was down.  My back aches, my ears are tired, and I am all out of creative things to do and say.  Even Saturday would offer no respite because George had to work all day.  Saturday I let little George watch way more TV than any child should.  I went for a walk in the drizzle when the rain let up just a little because I couldn't stand it anymore.  I decided I would try to clean the house and let George watch a Thomas the Train movie.  When he realized that I had tricked him, he turned the movie off and asked if he could help.  So cute.  He loves to clean!  So I gave him the toilet brush and said, "Go do Mommy and Daddy's toilet".  Haha, I love this.  Then he helped me cook some soup.  He loves to cook also.  He's gonna make some lady really happy one day.  A man who likes to cook and clean!  Well, lets not marry him off quite yet Becca, he's already growing up too fast as it is.  Low and behold, I got a call around 4pm that George was on his way home! It took me all of 15 minutes to work out a double date with Maynell and her husband and ask Evie's mom if George could come over for a couple of hours while we went out.  She has wanted to repay us childcare for a while so it worked out perfectly.  The stars aligned themselves just right and we found ourselves at Firefly Bistro with two lovely people by 6pm.  Maynell's husband is also a surgery fellow at USC so to have them both home and not on call, and to both have free childcare (Maynells father was in town) was truly a miracle.  A double date with them may never happen again but I am so glad it did this time.  Can I tell you we had the BEST time!  We all got something different and shared everything.  Our two appetizers were shrimp ceviche on a papusa, and butternut squash donut holes with madras curry sauce.  I got pecan crusted catfish with a sweet potato hash and collards and George got pork shank.  Maynell got eggplant with goat cheese and this amazing sauce and her husband Owen got shrimp and grits.  We shared a bottle of Pinot Noir and the atmosphere was perfection.  The restaurant is mostly outdoors with a tent for rainy or cold days.  Greenery hangs from the walls and ceiling and white Christmas lights and candles are reminiscent of fireflies.  There are heaters so it was very warm.  All the entrees are relatively Southern inspired so we all felt right at home.  Owen went to UNC and while Maynell calls California home, her family is from Mississippi and she and Owen met there.  There are definitely southern roots with these two.  George and I left and felt brand new.  Just two hours away from my son and I had a chance to miss him.  I feel refreshed and ready to take on another week.  I am so thankful for the real relationships George and I have been able to build.  What a perfect night!  Oh except for one thing, George informed us that "Mrs. Jennie only had GIRL forks".

No comments:

Post a Comment