Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Bad, the Good, the Holy

I have had one of my best weeks here in California preceded by one of my worst.  Isn't that always how it is?  I am not sure if the previous week was bad because I am homesick and we had so much fun with the Edwards' or if I was terrified about the reality of our return to North Carolina (its a logistical nightmare, in case you didn't know).  

Whatever the reason, the bad week culminated in a trip to a local health food store where I …well, where Georgie….well, where I…..OK- it was my mostly my fault.... busted a six pack of Coors light all over the floor.  Six brown glass bottles smashed into a hundred pieces on the floor of a tiny, hippy, lemon-grass-smelling, fresh-pressed-juice-pressing, tofu and temphe-carrying health food store.  OK, here is the story.  I thought I would save money and time and the earth by my "on foot" grocery trip.  I went to a normal grocery to get buns and beer for our family cookout that night.  George said to get Coors light because, lets face it, money is tight right now and as much as we love the good stuff, Coors light is a better deal. Then I went in Grassroots (the health food store) in search of a nut-milk bag (I've been making my own Almond milk).  I did find it but also found about three helpful and friendly store clerks who all told me the same thing about the "long time family business and all the wonderful benefits of Grassroots and that I had come on a good day because everything in the store is 20 % off…and…and…and…".  All I could think about was my time bomb son who had been in the stroller for over an hour now.  As I finally politely turned away from the friendly clerk to find the checkout, George pushed up forcefully on the roof of the stroller where I had stored the fabled six pack and exclaimed, "that is heavy and its hurting my HEAD!" crash…. I wanted to cry, crawl in a hole, disappear.  So embarrassing! So thats when it all went downhill.  I was just in a funk for a few days after that.  It was not just the spilled beer I was upset about, that was just the straw that broke the camel's back.  George had to work both weekend mornings but when he realized I was about to loose it (because of my fit over the bathroom floor that is endlessly flooded) he took George to the beach for the entirety of Sunday afternoon.  One would think I would have used this time to run errands or get things accomplished but I simply sat in the yard and let the sun bake all the frustrations out of me.  There were tears but sometimes that is all we need, a good cry.  When George heard about my afternoon, he was sad and said he had wanted me to have fun.  I told him that I thoroughly enjoyed my cry and it was exactly what I needed.  I sat, cried, talked to my sister, went for a walk, took in the beauty of the day.  If you think California does not have seasons you would be correct but if you think spring does not stand OUT here, you are wrong.  Every day here is sunny and 70- 75 degrees but spring is BETTER.  Can you even fathom better than sunny and 75?  In spring, every flower imaginable blooms and reminds me of what the Garden of Eden must have looked like, in spring the sunlight hits the palm fronds at the tip top of their crazy tall trunks so perfectly as the light breeze rustles them about.  In spring here, the orange blossoms bloom and every breath taken in is intoxicating and every breath out seems like a waste.  The air is clear and the sky is bright and enormous.  Sunday was the peak of spring to me.  When the sun began to set I headed off to my softball game.  I played a sport that I love with people that I don't have to explain anything to.  Teammates are sometimes better than best friends.  If you are quiet on the field it is perceived as concentration. There is plenty to talk about in the dugout other than what happens to be on your mind; "the pitcher is throwing a bunch of crap out there", "hey- hows the sun from the batters box?" "don't hit it to the right fielder, he's got an arm and will throw you out at first", " can I borrow your bat?".   To play ball and not talk was….well…perfect and just what I needed.  I also needed to drive fast on the way home and play the music loud with the windows down on the freeway and to feel, well, free.  Dad- if you are reading, I did not speed, it just felt fast and free because of the windows.  When I returned home, I sang a song to Georgie and said good bye to big George.   He headed into work to finish all he had failed to do today because he had given me an afternoon off.  I had two girlfriends come over and we talked about our struggles with young kids and husbands who work extremely hard at their jobs.  Husbands who do everything for their kids and who provide their wives with everything their hearts could desire.  It is so good not to be in this season of life alone.  Tonight I was reminded that there are many others who fight the good fight alongside me.  Sunday night I had vivid dreams of home.  I could honestly feel the heat and humidity of a southern summer night.  Monday I awoke and made a decision to have a good day.  I realized that every little thing that happened Sunday worked together to make me feel better.  What an amazing God to work out every single detail of my afternoon to work together for my good.  It makes you feel loved, I tell you what.  Here are a few pictures of the "good week" that followed the "bad week". 


This was the George's Sunday afternoon activity that allowed me to have a recharge.


Tuesday I made a cake for Maynells birthday
Almond cake with lemon curd (from our lemon tree) filling and raspberry buttercream frosting!


After school Tuesday we met friends at the park and this cuddle was captured digitally because cuddles like this are few and far between.

Wednesday was HOT so we filled up the pool and had popcorn made by Monica in the whirlypop. Get it Lena! Don't let those boys hog it all!  Aunt Patti, notice your quilt in the background.  It gets so much use out here!


This is the whole crew: George, Lena, Cole, Zoe

Slip n Slide Thursday

Friday:  Tac and George at the pirate ship playground I just discovered this week.  


Couldn't leave this out; George took this picture of Lauren and I. Who said mom's cant have fun at the park too?


I saved the best for last.  We have a new nephew!!!  Friday, George's sister had her second baby and he is so sweet and healthy.  We are so thankful!!!  Welcome to the world, little guy! George is going to teach you SO much about being a little boy in this family!


So there you have it, the bad week, the good week and now it is Holy Week. This is my favorite week of the whole year.  Praise God that he sent his son to this world to die this week so that we may live this week, this day, this year.   Jesus came and died and was risen from the dead to sustain us through the bad weeks, and so that we may sing his praises in the good weeks.  Praise be to God this Easter season.  Praise BE to God!




No comments:

Post a Comment