Monday, November 18, 2013

Giver of Good Gifts

I have decided that the third week of Maxillo-Mandibular Fixation is just as bad as the first week.  But in light of my decision to try and stay positive and not grumble or complain I will instead inform you that I have 7 days and 15 hours until these bles-sed (2 syllables) wires no longer bind my poor mouth.  Things went south Thursday and I have not felt well since then.  I do not feel well in general and one screw in particular has caused me to go back on narcotics for the past three nights in order to sleep.  So thats the MMF update.  Otherwise, things around here have been very laid back.

Here's a little story about God's goodness Friday night.
I felt oh-so-crummy and had actually commenced to peer into the cupboards longingly for a snack even though I knew I would find nothing to satisfy.  I was chilly and the pureed black bean soup from lunch was long gone.   Hot tea would warm me up but would leave me in need of something more.  I could make a milkshake to fill me up but it was almost time for dinner and I was cold.  The last thing I wanted was to chill myself to the bone.  Then George and George entered with the mail and a package from my dear friend Lindsay.  This girl knows me so well.  It was hot chocolate mix! But not just any hot chocolate mix....super healthy hot chocolate mix!  The ingredients written on a piece of card stock in her lovely handwriting were bound around a glass jelly jar with black and white twine and were as follows:  cocoa, maca root, coconut sugar, vanilla protein powder, and cinnamon.  Leave it to Lindsay to mail me a healthy superfood that I, the healthy eater, have never heard of.  Has anyone heard of Raw Maca Root powder?  Lindsay, put your hand down.  Apparently it nourishes the endocrine system, fights stress, increases stamina, boosts..well...uhhh...this is not the place to say that it boosts that....and combats fatigue.  Needless to say, I immediately soothed my cold, hungry self with a big mug of that chocolate-y goodness.  She also included the rest of the bag of Maca Root powder to add to my smoothies and milkshakes.  I am so thankful for Lindsay and the way she knows me so well.  And I am so thankful for the Lord who orchestrated her good deed so beautifully in order to meet my every need and at just the perfect time.  LHS-YAMS!

We had a lazy Saturday and did nothing.  Well, I did nothing and George entertained the little guy and took him all over South Pasadena so I could rest.  Sunday proved to be another wonderful Sabbath day.  I went to cheer my team for the last regular season game.  It was nice to see everyone but really hard to be on the bench.  It reminded me of the last bone I broke at the National Tournament for Club Softball in Ohio.  I sat on the bench with my team and learned for the first time how to take score- and left handedly at that.  I could not have hand picked a more caring and genuine team.  Even though my season was short with them, I appreciate and will miss them.  We won and will be in the playoffs next Sunday.

I must note that my husband has carried the weight of this whole ordeal.  He has been ON IT since the minute this terrible thing happened.  He does not think I notice all he does.  I notice that the trash gets taken out every night. I notice that the doggie poop bags were replaced.  I noticed that he cleaned my car inside and out and got Georgie a much needed haircut in the same outing. I noticed that he makes the bed if he can get to it before I do.  I notice that he disciplines our son even when it is not an efficient means to an end.  I notice how he now translates our son's full-mouthed gibberish for me, instead of the other way around.  I notice that he cleans his breakfast dishes so I do not have to.  I notice when he puts everything on hold to watch TV with me because I am bored.  I notice the way he gently encourages me every time I start to get down.  I notice that he was the one to get up with George both of these weekend mornings when we usually take turns.  I notice the way he keeps a good attitude when its definitely "his turn" to have a meltdown (we tend to take turns).  I notice that he tries his hardest to enjoy his food in the least vocal way possible because he knows how I crave what he eats.  I notice the way he takes over without complaint when I have to suddenly exit the scene of full throttle three year old and go rest.  I notice and have lost count of how many games of "airplane", "hide and seek", "trains" and "cars" in which he has played the lead role.   There is no one else who would be as patient with me as he has been.  There is no one else who would love and treat our son in the way he does.  Thanks be to God for this man in my life.

 I had a few rotten days in a row.  I was about to send out invites to a pity party.  Sunday morning in my time with the Lord he lead me to Psalm 100 and 104.
Psalm 100
"Shout for JOY to the Lord all the earth.  Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.  Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.  For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations."

The verses in Psalm 104 that stuck out to me were 14-15 and 27.
14-He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for man to cultivate-bringing forth food from the earth; 15-wine that gladdens the heart of man, oil to make his face shine, and bread that sustains his heart.

27- These all look to you to give them their food at the proper time. When you give it to them, they gather it up; when you open your hand, they are satisfied with good things.

These obviously spoke to me because of the food references (have I mentioned I am tired of the liquid diet?) however I know that God speaks to us in ways we can understand. Our human nature understands food-so he puts his words in our terms.  What he gives us though is so much bigger and better than a big bowl of pasta or a hunk of french baguette.  The wine and bread and oil he speaks of is his Holy Word and his peace, hope and love.  These are the things that truly gladden our hearts, sustain us and make our faces shine.

I had to stop and remind myself of all I have to be thankful for in spite of (and even because of) this thorn in my side.  I decided to make a Psalm 100- joyful list of all these things. I will not include my list here because it is very long but it included everything from peanut butter and good drugs to more serious items like gratitude for the chance to wake up and watch my little boy play one more day.  As dire as that sounds, it is truth.  When I feel sorry for myself, I need to check myself and realize that I have the ability to FEEL.  And the ability to feel means you're alive and that, my friends, is a blessing no matter what you face.  God will give us good things.  He promises to.  Everything from grass for the cattle to wine that gladdens our hearts, and bread...oh bread....that sustains our hearts.  He will satisfy us with good things.  In fact he already has.  Make your list and you will see and know that the Lord is good.  You will feel like a sheep in his pasture, and you will experience his faithfulness as it flows through all generations.  Thanks and praise be to God.

1 comment:

  1. SO beautifully said, Becca. God has such a creative way of answering our prayers, and I see that all over this situation with your broken jaw. I love what you said about being thankful that you can "feel" because that in itself means you are alive, and that is something to recognize and be thankful for. Thank you for that wonderful reminder!

    ReplyDelete