Thursday, November 7, 2013

Ohhhh, Possum!

Two things happened Monday night:
1.  I dreamed I ate a teddy graham
2.  I woke up in a panic because I could not seem to open my mouth
This tells me two things:
1.  I have had these wires long enough
2.  I slept really well for the first time in a week

Tuesday was a school day and I dropped George off with no problems, got an oil change and treated myself to a manicure while I waited for the oil to be changed.  I had a coupon for it so it was the perfect opportunity.
We happened to see our friends Jennie and Evie when I picked George up from school. They were headed to the park so we joined them.  All of that may have been too much for me because when we got home, I went right to sleep after I got George down for his nap.  He woke up around 5pm and it was completely dark.  He is so confused by the time change especially because he takes really long naps.  I am pretty sure he has no clue that he has not slept all night and that he thinks it is a brand new day.  Since I was so tired from the long day and big George would not be home for dinner I decided to cheat and sat him in front of a new movie we borrowed from Evie as we ate dinner (or drank it in my case).  We watched Disney's Brave and it was SO good. We snuggled the whole time and it was one of those nights we'll remember forever.  As I put him to bed I started to read a story, which I dread these days as it hurts my mouth.  He said, "Remember mommy- we don't read stories on movie nights".  Alrighty then!  Off to bed with you then.  As I turned off the light he said, "I want Daddy".  This was a Mozart symphony to my ears.  He has been so attached to me his whole little life, which I love in a lot of ways- don't get me wrong. But to hear those words.....man it was so good.  Since I have been out of commission, the Georges have spent a lot of quality time with each other and wow, has it paid off!  I told him I would send Daddy in when he got home.  When Daddy got home guess what he said in a hopeful tone...."Is he (George) still awake?---Good, I wanted to see that little booger".  Another symphony to my ears.  If I had to go through all this so they could have a chance to bond- I would do it again.

Wednesday we went to the Museum of Natural History.  It was the 100th anniversary so the museum was free! I am all over "FREE".  But alas, ten bucks to park.  It turned out to be worth it.  They have just redone the museum and they did a great job.  I did not see it before, but it was very interactive for a history museum.  George loved the Dinosaur BONES.  George will tell you, "They are not dinosaurs, they are dinosaur BONES".  Smart young 'un.  He was so excited that he would bounce from one exhibit to the next. It would have been so much more informative if I had time to read each plaque but hey, I would not even be there if it were not for him so I think I got as much out of it as I could.   And I overheard a conversation that melds very well with some scripture I read this morning too, so you will hear about that in the next post.  While we were there it should be noted that we were lucky enough to witness a live animal's first appearance in public at this museum.  Her name was Avocado and about 20 or so middle school age children waited in great anticipation for her to come out of her cage.  The two museum employees seemed excited to share this experience with us and were surprised at the crowd that had gathered there to see Avocado in all her glory.  Now before I go on, I want to say something for any readers who do not know me very well.  I LOVE animals, I've never owned a fur coat, I think humans have driven several animals into extinction and for that I am horrified and not proud of our human race. On the other hand, I grew up in a family of hunters and fishermen (and women)  so I appreciate nature as it takes its course with some species.  I think that overpopulation of some species is worse than the alternative, especially if we hunt to use the animal for food.  Okay,  now that you know I am not just a mean animal hater, let me tell you about what animal they brought out of that cage....A 'POSSUM Y'ALL!  The first question she asked the crowd was, "Have any of you ever seen an Opossum before?" I wanted to retort, "Is that the same thing as a Possum? and do you mean alive or dead? I've seen plenty of dead ones".  The next was, "What do you know about the Opossum?" All I could think of was how glad I was that my mom was not here right now.  She would have really embarrassed us with her response.  I can hear her now..." PURPOSE??? They have no purpose, they are the dumbest animals on the planet and they serve absolutely no purpose".  I can also see the looks we would get from the "trainers" who adore this opossum, little Avocado.  I had to leave before I said something I would regret.  All in all it was a great time, possum and all.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHAHA! Becca, your first few lines had me laughing ... the teddy graham! and then I didn't stop laughing all the way through. I can just SEE you at the museum when they brought the possum out. Great retelling of the story. (And neat perspective on the Georges having time together b/c you've been out of commission. I didn't laugh at that part. Just smiled.) Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete