Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Mountains? Beach? Both?

"I lift my eyes up, to the mountains- where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven, creator of the earth! Psalm 121:1-2


Saturday the Georges went on a hike and gave me a much needed break.  The pictures below are from their hike. Couldn't tell you where they went, so don't even ask. At the moment I was not concerned. I do know they had some wonderful father-son time.  I went for a long run and ran some errands.  It is hot here this month.  Up until Saturday I had been "Pu-Pu ing" the weather  (to "Pu-Pu" something is my mother's term.  It means to make light of or make fun of something that someone else thinks is really hard or really intense....basically any time someone makes a big deal of something and it turns out the thing is not all its cracked up to be).  My claims were (and still kind of are) that California does not know heat like North Carolina does. At the end of my run Saturday around 11:30 am I ducked into a Rite Aid on the route home. I needed to print pictures of George for his preschool teacher and thought, why not bring that little thumb drive thingy with me on my run? I know,  I am a master multi-tasker, I admit it, I am a genius.  So as soon as I walked in I  grabbed the first Gatorade I could find.  I am not one to bring water with me on a run, much less Gatorade. I always feel like is a waste of energy.  I thought, "Why don't they sell these smaller? I am going to have to carry this 32 oz Gatorade my whole way home".  As I printed my pics, I realized the Gatorade was all gone. At the cash register I got a funny look as she threw away my empty bottle.  OK, California, I get it, different kind of heat.  Gotcha.  Run in the morning in September, done.

















Saturday night we went to Venice Beach to meet some friends of friends. George stayed with our friends Lauren and Tyler.  He did cry but Lauren texted me 15 minutes after we left to tell me all was well. I was so appreciative of that because as all mothers know you can't really have a good time if you think your baby is upset.  We went to an amazing place called Hostaria Del Piccolo.  Pizza and cocktails!  I got a prosciutto, fig and mozzarella pizza and George got anchovies, capers and soy cheese.  We had a perfectly wonderful date night with these two. They are so "LA".  Courtney is an actress/model with more agents and managers than I could keep up with and Evan is a surfer who has started his own business. Something about an App where you can upgrade your seats for less at sporting events when you are already but there are better, unsold seats.  He also chartered sailing cruises in the Virgin Islands for two years.  So many amazing things about this couple but the main thing was they were so very nice to us, the country mice.  And we appreciated it.  As they referred to "our next night out" several times,  George and I couldn't help but wonder if they were both good actors or if they genuinely, actually, really liked us.....At any rate we had a great time out and it was just what we needed. Some great food, great new friends, and a fun night away.  Georgie did great at Lauren and Tyler's and we thanked them profusely.

Sunday....OH SUNDAY. This has to be another post. I have so much to say about Sunday.  This post would be entirely too long if I included Sunday.  It will be called "HOPE HEALS". Look for it.

Sunday night we went with Lauren and Tyler and Tac to eat some Japanese food. It was great but George smooshed his finger so we had to go get froyo.  I hate that he got hurt but.....

Here we are with our yogurt. He got "green, with worms" and I got just pure awesomeness. Any cookie  that I saw ended up in my cup.  Not even sure what base I used, the toppings are what count.  So good and such a perfect end to this God ordained day.  Check back for details about Sunday.

Monday we tried to go to the beach for Labor Day.  Not a terrible idea in itself, just that everyone else in LA also had this idea.  It was Labor Day, we should have known.  Even though we sought out a seemingly private beach, by 9:00 in the morning it was overrun with beach-goers.  We had to move our blanket twice because of hooligans who were not necessarily informed of the beach etiquette that I was blessed to have imparted upon me by my wonderful beach bum parents.   I did have a pretty fantastic run up this mountain. The views were gorgeous. Here are a few pictures from Point Dume, Malibu, a suggestion from our friends Courtney and Evan.

George decided to try to avoid the Pacific Coast Highway on the way home so we went on an adventure through the mountains.  I was thoroughly carsick when we came out the other side.  We put George down for a nap when we returned.  For dinner we had a little family labor day feast of BBQ chicken, fresh baguette, and grilled okra (from the garden) and tomatoes. I also splurged with brownies for dessert.  Monday night little G was up and down out of bed because we are all sick.  Big G brought something home from the children's hospital and we realized we have a whole new set of germs to build immunity to.  I'm not sure I'm up for this.  Did I sign up for germ immunity building - 102? If I did I do not recollect that decision and I want to drop this course. At least we did not let a cold get in the way of our Labor Day weekend.  Overall, a fun time was had by all!








No comments:

Post a Comment