Saturday, August 31, 2013

superCALIfragilisticexpialidocious

So many great things this week!  Tuesday night Lauren and I had our weekly dinner together while the boys were at conference. We laughed a lot tonight and had a great time.  I mean how can you not have a blast if theres a pool, hot tub, and laughter involved . I love our mid week pick me up.  Its quickly becoming necessary.

Wednesday George and I had a low key morning.  We re-visited Lacy Park where we met two new friends who played with George for a long time (and gave me a break from the see-saw).  We had a picnic there and then went home for some rest time.  Post non-nap, we tried a different park within walking distance from our house (there are three within a fifteen minute walk!). George found another friend and I got the number of her nanny, a sweet girl who I thought was the mom but was in fact a recent high school graduate. Hmm, I wonder if she thought I was George's nanny? I think probably not.  Gosh I feel....not gonna say it, not gonna be that girl.
A nice family meal, bath time and bed!




Thursday we went to Target and ran into a girl that I really clicked with at church. Even in LA, you run  into folks you know in Target on a random Thursday morning. Thats why I love this small town of South Pasadena.  Everyone says that its one of the only places in LA that truly has a "neighborhood" feel. Granted, I rarely talk with anyone who does not live here/love it here.  After George's non-nap we went to a get together at Garfield Park.  A parent of one of the children in George's new class at school organized it so that we could all meet and hopefully see some familiar faces the first day of school. It was a great idea since I met no one in his class at the previous get together.  We met three boys who will be in George's class.  I cannot describe in words how wonderful it made me feel to be with other moms of three year old boys.  They said things to their boys like "Do not whine. You can tell me in a regular voice" and "Please come on, for the 18th time, put your shoes back on", "be gentle", "I know he has juice but your mom brought you water" and " please, do not hang on my arm when I am trying to cut this food up for you, I am going to end up cutting your finger off".  Just a sampling of the phrases that made me feel so normal and good.  Its been almost two months since George and I have been around other three year old boys and their moms and this was just what I needed.   And just in the knick of time. I had begun to think that I was crazy or that George was not normal, but thank goodness for these moms and their boys!!  George and I are both semi-normal (no one is allowed to comment on that statement).   The parents were really nice too.  One dad that I met plays on a softball team so I told him that if they ever need an extra player I brought my glove.  Keep your fingers crossed because that would make my life to be able to play ball out here.  Its not co-ed but he said I could maybe play catcher or something.  I will try not to be offended by that statement. Nothing against catchers, its the hardest position in real ball, but in beer leagues well just suffice it to say, its not really a compliment. I will just leave it at that.  Big George was able to go to this event with me and it was so nice to have him there.  At least a few of the parents will know he exists since he most likely will not be able to make it to many other school functions.  Georgie had a great time and by the end called one boy by name. It was so so so so good to see him play with other little boys. So good. Did I mention it was good to see him play with other boys??? It was good to my soul. Praise God!

Friday morning we were able to Facetime with Grammy and George showed her all his toys.  Then we went to Orange Grove Park after our morning run for a Pi-Yo class I had been invited to attend.  There were four girls and the instructor (I learned that she is new to South Pas as well- although very connected in California, she's only been in this area for two months).   There were eight kids plus George.  Most of these women were my age or younger and most of them had another child in school. Am I behind or something (again, no comments from the peanut gallery-Mom and Lynn)?  The idea was for the kids to play at the playground and the moms to enjoy an hour of fused Pilates and Yoga.  It was more like this:  I got to pretend I was the playground and George climbed all over my "tree pose" and "warrior two position".  Laughable, but still very fun. I enjoyed the girls and their kids and I enjoyed the freedom to bring George and not feel bad for his constant interruption.  Each mom had to stop at least once to tend to her little ones and two of us completed the hour class with an attachment for 70 % of the time.  Resistance or just dangerous? I vote dangerous.  At the end though, as we visited Shavasana (the last pose where you just lay there and breathe) George just sat on my lap as still as a statue.  It was really an awesome experience to do Yoga with him beside me.  I thought it would be stressful or not worth it but it turned out to be quite the opposite, it was more meaningful and more fun.  As I "shavasana-ed" I thought about how very much I loved him and how very much I enjoy our days together.  On the way back home we stopped in at Buster's - a very popular cafe on the main strip and treated ourselves to a smoothie. I got "Soy Lover's Protein" and George got "blue". They were a tasty and refreshing treat on this hot day after a run in the sun and outside yoga.  We walked all the way home and drank our smoothies.  Dean got a bath and his ears cleaned and George was a good helper; he acted as very generous treat dispenser every time he thought Dean had earned one.  After a good long nap (a real one, where he actually fell asleep!) big George returned from work with two treats for me- a bag of fresh cut fruit from a street vendor and his FIRST PAYCHECK.  Thank Goodness, its been a long two months without one of those!  We picked up dinner from Senor Fish and went to Oneonta for a family movie night.  They played "Mary Poppins" on a big screen outdoors under the stars and it was perfection.  Have you ever had one of those cameo moments where you feel like you have dreamed up the whole thing?  You almost feel guilty for how happy you are? Well, I just experienced one of those nights.  The weather was perfect, I had grilled shrimp tacos in my belly and my boys by my side.  Fresh popped popcorn and popsicles were passed around and George pointed out  every plane that went by. What could be better?  I can tell you- the fact that Mary Poppins sang the sound track of our evening.  Such a happy movie.  Do you remember the scene where Uncle Albert can not stop his laughter from bubbling up over and over again and he is stuck in the air??? I had forgotten about it and laughed that genuine laugh with Uncle Albert and the rest of the audience.  You should google it if you need a pick-me-up today.  Georgie LOVED it.  His giggles and faces as we watched the movie were the best part of the whole night.  What pure delight.  Absolute un-tainted pure satisfactory delight.  I might just say it was Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.  I did just look that up but I would like to note that I spelled it correctly before I looked.  One point for me.
Super-CALI- fragilisticexpialidocious!!






No comments:

Post a Comment