Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Good food,sunshine continues ...and some evil thievery

Our third weekend here started at Pie 'N Burger in Pasadena.  The boys got burgers that only differed in price. Big George's was ten bucks and  little George's kids meal was five bucks. Same burger. Note to self...order kids meals. I- stupidly but not surprisingly- got a chef salad. It was pretty gross but thats what I get for my dumb order. But I was the only one who ordered pie, and I really wish everyone else had ordered their own piece. It was heavenly. Rhubarb, my favorite!
Then George and Tyler had this social event at at bowling alley for work.  Families were invited but Lauren and I decided to stay home, and sit in the hot tub with a fancy drink. Little George went with his daddy and uncle Tyler.  The ladies enjoyed an evening of uninterrupted get-to-know-you time.  It was just as wonderful as it sounds.  Then George came to pick me up and we went home to get our beauty rest for the next day's activities.  We had planned a beach trip with our new friends to  Malibu Beach State Park Lagoon.

Saturday, 8/17

We picked up lunch at John's Garden, located at the Country Mart across from the State Park. The Country Mart is anything but what it sounds like. Definitely not the Country Marts I am familiar with.  In NC you might find a dusty porcelain bunny or a taxidermists masterpiece in the shape of an alligator... This one had every single designer I had ever heard of and tons that I had not ever heard of.  Don't waste your time with thoughts of Ann Taylor Loft or JCrew, honey...we are talking Channel, D&G, l'occitane and for your casual shopping, Citizens or Seven's denim....So anyway, needless to say I could not even afford to window shop and it was time to get to the beach so we ordered our gourmet sandwiches and while we waited for them to be prepared, there was a convenient little playground for George.  In honor of my sweet Grandaddy Bill I would like to tell you what was on each of our sandwiches. Mine was called Parma: prosciutto and shaved parmesan with thick layer of basil, tomatoes, evoo, and balsamic vinegar. George got the Roman: Sun dried tomato, grilled marinated chicken, evoo, balsamic, and provolone (minus the cheese). Both served on amazingly soft- but crusty at the same time- fresh baguette.  Georgie got grilled cheese with tomato, Pirate's Booty (like popcorn for those of you who do not have little ones) and of course I had to throw in two huge fresh baked cookies for dessert.  One was M&M for Georgie and the other was macadamia, coconut and chocolate chip for the parents. We also shared one big order of fruit salad that came with slivered almonds and shredded coconut on top with a side of yogurt. I hope your mouth waters as you hear about this lunch. It was that good...well, the part that I actually got to eat.  Read on....
We got our lunch to go and parked at the beach. Again, 12$ to park. Our friends Lauren, Tyler,Tac and Tyler's cousin all arrived within a few minutes of each other. Great timing! We took a longish walk to the beach and parked ourselves in front of the ocean to begin our day. Everything was wonderful....at first....
Then we decided to explore the tide pools to try to find some sea life that was promised on the website. The website said the pools were "teeming with sea life" ehhhh, not so much but we did see lots of hermit crabs.  No starfish though as George reminds us daily.  Never promise starfish to a three year old. As the whole crew explored we wondered aloud if the beaches were safe to leave wallets, cell phones, and other valuables. I mean, it is the beach, and in NC I feel pretty confident that no one will take my stuff. But here, we just don't know so we collectively decided it was time to head back. To what did our wondering eyes appear, but ten nasty seagulls circling near. They tore and they pecked and they ate our whole lunch, how much did we cry...oh dear, a whole bunch.  It was a sandwich murder scene, it was.  There was trash everywhere and not a crumb of our lunch was left and I do not exaggerate.  They opened the bag of Pirate's Booty and PLUNDERED.  They were ruthless.  That sandwich was about three pounds worth of meat and cheese. No wonder these birds were so huge.  Oh and they finished off my huge, perfectly melted chocolate chip cookies. That was the worst. In response to this Lauren said, I hope seagulls are allergic to chocolate like dogs are and they die from the cookies (this is why we are such good friends. Girl is SERIOUS about her cookies).  Did I mention our lunch bill was about 45 bucks?? UGH I was SO upset. George cried over his pirates booty...it was bad.
And to think we were worried about our cell phones and wallets!
In the end it was ok. George had a moment of weakness and saw how upset I was, drove me back to the same little shop and let me get a juice. I got George more Pirates Booty, and myself a pineapple, mint and cucumber juice and added a granola bar at the last second.  I think I am officially a Californian now after that little snack.  George is the BEST husband ever. He did not want to go back to that expensive store, spend more $ and risk afternoon traffic (two of his least favorite things) but he did it, for me.  And did not even give me grief about it.  I just love him!
We returned to a cool house and some great mail. My sister sent me a really pretty dress and dad sent UNC napkins and two CDs. Y'all are about to spoil me. Then we got George to bed and watched a little TV (what show...I'll never tell... xoxo) and crashed.
Sunday 8/18
We went back to Oneonta and tried the traditional service. It was pretty good but like before not many young families at all.  George did great at nursery though and the sermon was good again too. I think we all feel sort of at home here.  I think it will be good for George, because his school is also in this building. Came home, napped and had a long Sabbath day.  Every Sunday we've had here has been such a Sabbath. I think because we don't know anyone and are not involved in anything yet.  It has been really nice.  We all need rest to get ready for the next week.  Thank God for Sabbath!

No comments:

Post a Comment